Wednesday, April 06, 2005

World Wind

I saw that Doug has the Great Canadian Atlas or some such up on his blog. I say it's cool, but I can do one better.

WORLD WIND!

This is a really cool program that I boot up and fiddle around with when I don't have time to play WoW. It's a 3D map of the world made up of satellite images. The cool thing is that there are a bunch of different types of satellite images and you can zoom in and out. For some reason there's a bit of a glitch so I can't see Tokyo on the full-colour satellite image, but Acton shows up (unlike on the Google Map service, where Eden Mills and Rockwood show up, but Acton doesn't... but click on Satellite on the Google map function and you can see my house!)

You can also load up pictures from special events, like the tsunami and such. One of my most interesting experiences with it was tracking down Mt. Everest. It's not as easy as you'd think. I did learn a lot about the local geography in Tibet, Nepal and China though.

---
What I'm Reading: Wyrmhole
What I'm Playing: WoW, Splinter Cell 3
What I'm Watching: Constantine (cool movie, a lot more subdued than I expected though)

No comments: