Friday, April 22, 2005

Souponauts

I've spent the better part of last week trying to track down a copy of the game Psychonauts. It's by Tim Schaefer, the guy who did the classics Grim Fandango and Day of the Tentacle, so I have been really looking forward to it for about 3 years now. The fact that it was dropped by about 3 different publishers really made me think I was never going to see it.

Well, it came out this week. First off, I had it on pre-order on Amazon, but after seeing it go to the dreaded, "Ships within 2-3 days" status, I knew I'd never see it from Amazon until sometime approaching Christmas.

I wandered down to Microplay earlier in the week in my quest for the game and also just to get Garrett out of the house. They didn't have it, but after much begging and pleading with me not to get the game at Electronics Boutique, I decided to let them put a special order in for me.

Well, 3 days later I go back (today) and brought my big bag o' trade-ins to help keep the actual cash price to a minimum. Not only did they not have my game, they also didn't have any idea when it would be in, if at all. They also weren't going to give me the trade-in values that they had published in their magazine/flyer, plus they wouldn't take some of the games and movies I had to trade in.

So I just went home without trading anything in and with no game.

After getting Garrett fed and changed, I called EB on a whim and they actually had two copies in, but couldn't put one aside for me. I had to whip into Guelph, which at 4pm on a Friday is an exercise in frustration.

Of course, I get to the EB and the guy behind the counter says, "It's you? If I'd known it was you I would have put the game aside!" Sigh...

Thankfully they took all of my trade-ins and actually gave me better credit than Microplay would have and in the end I only had to spend $3 cash and I got rid of a bunch of games that I haven't played in ages (and trust me, they weren't that good anyway).

So that's my story about the aquisition of Psychonauts.

As for soup, I made up a pot of chicken stock earlier in the week using the ancient Wager family recipe handed down from father to son since time immemorial (ie. Tuesday night). Tonight we will see how my attempt at chicken noodle soup turns out!

If I don't post for a couple days, assume the worst.

No comments: