Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Kung Fu Hustle

I just got back from seeing Kung Fu Hustle. It is AWESOME! Thanks, Luke, for pointing it out way back when the trailer came out. It's pretty much wall-to-wall crazy CGI enhanced fights with an added dash of insanity. I loved it. There were a few nods to Shaolin Soccer which I got a chuckle out of.

If you see one kung-fu prodigy - axe-wielding gang battle - screaming landlord movie set in Shanghai during the 1940's, make it this one. Aside from some painfully bad CGI bits near the beginning (the ones that AREN'T in a fight scene and that turn the movie into some kind of crazy live-action Roadrunner episode), everything in the movie is, if nothing else, unique and imaginative. I especially like the 'Number 1 Ranked' Assassins. That whole sequence was unlike anything I'd seen in a kung-fu movie.

Oh, and keep your eyes peeled for Nightwatch. It's the first of a trilogy of Russian horror movies that looks a lot like a mix of Matrix, Blade, Underworld and cool stuff. I hadn't heard of it till I saw the trailer before Hustle, but man, the more I watch the trailer, the cooler it looks.

---
What I'm Reading: The Darkness That Comes Before
What I'm Playing: Jade Empire, WoW
What I'm Watching: The Serenity trailer (yummy)

No comments: