Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Dr. Who?

I watched the new Dr. Who series that's been getting a lot of buzz on the net of late.

It's pretty good. It definately has a mid-budget British TV series feel to it, but it's just campy enough to be fun and snazzy enough to feel like an update, rather than a remake.

The new Doctor is pretty cool. Granted, this was just the premiere but I liked him. He's no Tom Baker, mind you, but he's cool. The Rose character isn't bad either, given that the 'actress' is some brit-pop reject.

Thankfully the TARDIS is still the good ol' TARDIS, but the interior is a wee bit different than the old ones. I like how the characters in modern London make mention of the fact that they don't really know what a Police Call Box is.

So far, no sign of K-9 yet, but you never know. I loved that little toaster on wheels.

My only minor quibble about it was that they 'improved' the theme song. It's still recognizable as the Dr. Who theme song and the changes don't kick in till it's a little bit into the song. It's just this little tweedling keyboard that they have under the main theme. Not terribly noticable, but for someone like me who loves the original version, it's kind of grating. Kind of like putting a stupid dance beat underneath a Celine Dion song... no, that's just taking something bad and making it more awful. But it's that kind of 'improvement' that really isn't necessary.

I'm definately going to watch it next week. It looks pretty neat.

Hmm... I think my wordpower is gone for today after re-reading that post. I had a LOOONG day and I still have karate to look forward to tonight, so forgive my horrid grammar and rambling sentences. Suffice it to say, I like the new Dr. Who, but I don't like the changes in the theme song.
--ED.

No comments: