Saturday, January 15, 2005

Where's the freaky robot dog?

I saw the first episode of the new Battlestar Galactica series tonight and man, me likey! I wasn't planning on watching it but happened across it as it was starting and got hooked.

I never was a huge fan of the first iteration of Battlestar Galactica. I really liked the Cylons and the Viper ships, but otherwise most of my recollections are fuzzy.

This new show is great. It's got a very dark and gritty feel and is probably closer to Firefly or Space: Above & Beyond than something like the pristine wonderland of the Star Trek universe. The space battles are ever so yummy to watch and have an almost Saving Private Ryan feel to them.

The first episode was pretty cool too because the Cylons were chasing the remaining fleet of 50000 humans across the galaxy and intercepting them every 33 minutes. This meant that nobody had been getting any sleep whatsoever. The sheer exhaustion of the characters was just spot on. You really got the feeling that they hadn't slept in over 5 days.

My neighbour gave me a tape about a year ago with the updated miniseries that this new show is based on and I hadn't ever gotten around to watching it. Now that I see what the new series is like, I'm definately going to watch that tape this week!

No comments: