Tuesday, January 25, 2005

PS3 and Xbox 2 news

There's an article over at the BBC about what developers are saying about the next-gen consoles and their efforts to develop games for them. It's nothing groundbreaking, especially if you've been following any of the next-gen news, but it's still interesting.

I'm still not 100% sure if Nintendo is being smart with sticking solely with a game machine or if they're suicidal. They definately have to get their act together with regards to online capabilities. Same with Sony. As loathe as I am to say it, Xbox Live is pretty much what singlehandedly saved the Xbox from being a very large doorstop.

The sad thing is that the Gamecube is probably the most powerful of the current batch of consoles but it just doesn't have that much on it. If nothing else, Resident Evil 4 is probably the nicest looking game on any of the systems right now. Unfortunately, it looks like people are just getting a feel for how to really push the Cube's hardware at the virtual end of it's life. Sure, all three current systems have a good year or two left on them before they're phased out, but it's still sad to finally start seeing games like RE4 and MGS3 pushing the PS2 and Cube as hard as they can, only to know that they will be the last batch to likely do that.

Ah well. By the time Garrett's five, I might be able to get the new systems cheap. No launch day systems this time around for me!

---
What I'm Reading: Apocalypse Array, but I have the first two Tales Of The Otori books just beckoning to me
What I'm Playing: Resident Evil 4
What I'm Watching: Stargate SG-1: Season 2, Scrubs

No comments: