Saturday, January 01, 2005

Breaking The Habit

Well, today I lobbed the first volley in my psychological war against videogame hype and my need to own every single game the second it comes out.

I unsubscribed from all of my daily gaming newsletters, which means my e-mail will be quite lighter for the next while.

This is going to help as I usually don't bother to check the game websites aside from the various links in the e-mails. Unfortunately I usually have about 4-5 daily e-mails that have interesting links for me to check out, which leads to other news, etc. etc.

No longer!

My GMR magazine subscription is effectively over (they still owe me one issue, but I'm not going to renew especially since the magazine has gone under now). I don't get the gaming mags anymore. I will keep reading Penny Arcade and the other comics I like to read, but without the supplimental info, it's not as likely to bore into my skull and cause me to do silly things!

The fact I will have NO money whatsoever for the next 5-6 months helps curb the rampant spending as well.

I think that my having to go without my PS2 has helped put things in perspective too. I'm coming to the realization that, hey, I have a LOT of games here as it is and it'll probably take me the 5 months that I'm off just to get through a good chunk of them, let alone any new ones that may come out in the meantime (all of this done while Garrett is having a nap, of course.)

We'll see...

No comments: