Tuesday, January 11, 2005

I don't think I'm THAT bad...

However, I can relate to this article about how too much gaming may tend to blur the line between real-life and game worlds.

My downfall are puzzle games like Tetris. If I get into playing a puzzle game, especially one that uses geometric shapes, I'll be looking at ceiling tiles or things on a desk and trying to figure out how to lock them together to make a solid line. Actually, the reference to Katamari Damacy in that article IS pretty close to how I was after I first got the game. Granted, I didn't go this far.

Kitchens found that her urge to keep picking things up was not so easy to shake.

"I was driving down Venice Boulevard," recalled her husband, Dan Kitchens, "and Kozy reached over and grabbed the steering wheel and for a moment was trying to yank it to the right.... (Then) she let go, but kept staring out her window, and then looked back at me kind of stunned and said, 'Sorry. I thought we could pick up that mailbox we just passed.'"


Burnout 3 was pretty bad too. I had to remind myself that in the real world, it's NOT a good idea to try to create a million dollars in damage while driving to work :)

And it turns out it's not just gamers that have this problem. Seems anyone who uses computers is crazy.

Martin reported similar experiences after four days on an intensive Photoshop project.

"By the time I turned the project in, I was so sleep-deprived and delusional," she said, "that everywhere I looked I had the impulse to correct things, to move the world around in layers."

No comments: