Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Don't let the door hit you on the way out

Looks like Anthony Wilson-Smith, the editor of Maclean's, is quitting.

Yay!

I've been reading Maclean's for years and ever since Mr. Hyphen took over the magazine, I've lost interest in reading it. Granted, in the last 4-5 months I've gotten back in the habit of reading it from cover to cover, but for the couple years prior to that I barely looked at more than one or two items per issue, if that.

For me, the most annoying things that Wilson-Smith did were to get rid of Allan Fotheringham (I miss Dr. Foth) and to revamp the layout of the magazine.

I loved Foth's back page columns. Reading him was like listening to Peter Gzowski speak. It could be angry and biting at times, but mellow in others. Most of all it was amusing and entertaining.

I like Paul Wells, but he hasn't really clicked with me yet. Maybe in time, but for now flipping to the back page as soon as I get the magazine is no longer a weekly ritual.

I have nothing against updating the look of a magazine. I understand it needs to be done. But when you do it the way Maclean's did it... *shudder* It makes the way the local Acton paper lays out their frontpage look absolutely professional.

I guess I'm just too picky about, oh, things making sense when I read them. Granted, I've gotten used to their wierd new layout, but I'd be ever so happy if whoever takes over at least gets rid of the annoying first-paragraph-that-might-be-a-caption-to-the-photograph-but-isn't thing that they do now. Ye gods, it drives me nuts.

Man, I've done a lot of posts today. Ok. No more posts from me for the rest of today. I think I've used up a week's worth (or a year's worth for James) in one day.

No comments: