Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Time for the second mortgage

At least, it will be if I actually expect to get one of the next gen systems when they come out.

According to the story over on Gamespot, the projected cost of the Playstation 3 is going to be $500 US, and that's the manufacturer's cost... If I read that story right, it might actually retail closer to $700 US!!!

That's one system I'll be waiting for a while to get, that's for sure.

Even the PSP, which I was actually starting to get somewhat interested in, is slated to run close to $250 US. Yeep. That throws a bucket of ice water on the proceedings right quick it does.

What I don't get is that according to that story, the percentage of households who own one or more game consoles has risen dramatically in this latest generation of game systems. Doesn't the price usually drop then, given that more and more people have them, therefore guaranteeing more units sold and more profit when all is said and done? Sigh.

I have to say that the idea of a PS3 with built in DVD recorder and TiVo does sound spiffy, but I wonder if you could get a stripped down version that just plays games...

Of course, by the time these new systems come out I'll already have the best system in the whole world...

A Neo-Geo in an arcade unit...

Er, I mean, a brand new baby :)

No comments: