Friday, June 11, 2004

Chronicles of Spigot

I went out to see The Chronicles Of Riddick (aka Pitch Black 2) today.

I enjoyed the movie, but then I really like the Riddick character and flashy special effects always dazzle me. It definately is one you have to turn your brain off for though. The concepts introduced in the movie were probably better than the actual movie itself, but what can ya do?

It was a lot like watching two different movies at once though. You have the rough and tumble prison sequences, which are a lot like Pitch Black, and then there is the whole invasion storyline, which isn't. But it all comes together by the end :)

My only really major problem with it was that whoever was in charge of naming the various races and such needs to go get a thesaurus or something. I mean, almost EVERYTHING relating to the invasion storyline uses such a basic fantasy/sci-fi nomenclature that it's almost embarrasing. Really now, do we need another race called the Elementals, or the Necromongers, or the Furians (from the planet Fury at that)... Sigh...

Thankfully it looked great and the gothic archetecture of the Necromongers' ships was really cool. The slam sequences were also nicely done and more in keeping with the feel of Pitch Black. Heck, they even reference Butcher Bay, which is the setting for the game I'm working on right now.

If you do go see it, watch the credits till they finish showing the pictures. It's a neat little thing. Heck, I liked how they ended it as I'd be really interested to see how another movie in this storyline would pan out. I remember hearing that they were planning on doing two sequels to Pitch Black, so I hope they do actually get the 3rd movie made.

No comments: