Friday, June 11, 2004

Angry Voters

I think I've managed to piss off my neighbours, and I wasn't even home to do it.

I was poking around on the NDP website the other day, just seeing what my local candidate was all about and on a whim I sent him an e-mail asking why there weren't any signs for the NDP in the area.

Much to my surprise, I had a reply first thing in the morning and this was to an e-mail sent after midnight. So the guy asked if I wanted a sign and I figured, sure, why not. I'll get one and stick it in my window.

This morning I was woken up by his office phoning me to get my address. Now, I've never been one for lawn signs or what not when an election rolls around, so this is somewhat of a big step for me. I decided to go with it and gave them my address so they could drop off my window sign.

Well, they hadn't shown up by the time I left for work, so I figured they'd just stick it in the door and I'd get it when I got home. Well, wouldn't you know it, they brought by a sign and jammed it right up into my front screen door so it was shining that neon orange that is the NDP colour to the whole neighbourhood. And it continued to do so all afternoon and part of the evening.

When Julie got home, she pulled it out of the front door, though not fast enough for my scary neighbours. They were just glaring at her when she did it.

Did I mention that I live in a VERY conservative riding? That's big and small 'C' conservative.

And then there's the whole electoral etiquette thing with regards to getting signs for one party when your spouse isn't voting for the same one as you...

So I've now got a rather large, bright orange NDP sign that I've stuck in my office window. The rest of the house can vote however it wants, but my backyard-facing office will join the loony left!

Ah, gotta love election season :)

No comments: