Wednesday, June 02, 2004

No pain, no gain

We went to the doctor today for our weekly baby checkup and so far, so good. We were concerned last week because Julie's blood pressure was a little high and she'd gained a lot of weight in 2 weeks, but everything seemed fine this week! According to the doctor, the Spiglet is ~37 cm long right now from nose to tail.

In the evening we went to Credit Valley Hospital for our hospital tour. There were only 3 people, including us, so it was a nice intimate tour. I was rather impressed with the facilities myself. Very new and not terribly sterile, which is nice for a labour & delivery ward.

They even have a hot tub there for mom's-to-be to lounge in while in labour. The nice thing is that the dads can hop in the hot tub too. The sad thing is that they had to specifically tell us that they would really appreciate it if the dads wore swim trunks if they want to hop in the hot tub... I'm not sure I want to know the tales the nurses have to tell about the hot tub!

Julie got a chuckle about a line at the end of the little video we watched about the whole 'Having A Baby At Credit Valley Hospital' experience. Right at the end they have a little list and one of the items on the list is this. "If you are experiencing any pain or discomfort, please notify the nurse." Which of course makes you wonder exactly how many labours & deliveries they have which have no pain or discomfort. I thought that was kind of a major part of the whole experience!

I had to tell the lady giving the tour my little story about CVH too. I used to live there. Not in the hospital, but the actual land it stands on used to be where the little house, farm and orchard were that I lived in from birth to around age 5. Then the hospital bought the land, kicked us out and we moved to Thunder Bay. I'm sure I'm going to be telling a LOT of people at the hospital my little story when we have the baby and I'm pacing the hallways frenetically. Sigh.

No comments: