Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Why did I skip last night instead of tonight?

I went to karate tonight. I was looking forward to doing the usual ache inducing training.

Of course, tonight was PDR night! That's Physical Development Review night. Our Shihan does this once a month and I lucked out and didn't miss it. It involves doing push-ups, curls, wind sprints and this flexible training thing that just about crippled me.

Suffice it to say, I have a ways to go. The nice thing is that it's there to use as a personal benchmark for how far you've come after a few months. Of course, it's going to be a few months before I'll likely be able to attend regularly, but it's still nice to have something to work from.

The guy has his standards set at the black belt level so that if you start out where I am, by the time it's black belt time, I'll be used to the levels of exertion needed to pass. It's not a bad system, actually. He's also using the OPP graduation physical stats as his benchmark, which accounts for the brutality of it.

Sigh.

No comments: