Monday, February 21, 2005

Worst... Drive... Ever...

Julie & I decided to drive home in that lovely little storm that decided to dump on us the entire drive home from Sarnia yesterday.

It was horrible. The snow itself that was falling didn't really affect us (except for around Woodstock/Kitchener). It was the fact that even though the storm had been going for about 3-4 hours at the time we left, the entire stretch of Eastbound 401 hadn't been plowed!!

It wasn't so bad from Sarnia to Kitchener. Sure, we were going about 60 km/h at our top speed, but there were actually spots where the wind and traffic had worn the snow down enough so that you could find a good groove and not shimmy all over the road.

But man, from Kitchener to Milton... it was horrendous. I don't think a single plow had been down that stretch. We passed about 8 plows heading west, but the eastbound 401 was horrid. I was going from one side of the road to the other and not even realizing it unless I had a car behind me that I could use to get my bearings. Even then, they usually were following my tracks, so it wasn't a pretty sight.

Suffice it to say, my hands, arms and shoulders are rather tense. What normally takes us about 2 1/2 hours tops to drive home took us about 4 1/2. Bleh.

But the good thing is that my fear of changing lanes in a blizzard on a snow covered road is pretty much gone. And we proved that if you don't drive like a yahoo, you can do fine in winter storms.

---
What I'm Reading: Grass For His Pillow
What I'm Playing: WoW, Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
What I'm Watching: All the stuff we taped last weekend.

No comments: