Friday, February 11, 2005

Beware The Roboctopus!

This is a neat article about how scientists are studying how octopi are able to keep their limbs from getting tangled up.

But wait! There's more!

Not only are they trying to figure out how an octopus keeps its limbs organized, they're also hoping to use that data to help build robots that can keep THEIR limbs organized.

Spiffy stuff.

The sad thing is that National Geographic, of all people (organizations, whatever), actually uses the word 'OCTOPUSES' instead of 'OCTOPI' in their article. Sigh. I should get a job as an editor. I'd do a heck of a better job than the trained monkeys they have bashing away at the typewriters of most of these publications.

And maybe it's just me, but I think this would be the perfect way to spend Valentine's Day.

"The Oregon Coast Aquarium has a unique outreach program for you: On February 14, Valentine's Day, you can hold hands with an octopus."

---
What I'm Reading: Thief Of Time
What I'm Playing: Thief 3, SMT: Nocturne
What I'm Watching: Garrett's butt lifts

No comments: