Friday, February 04, 2005

My Monitor Needs A Big Kick In The Teeth

I hate my monitor.

It's an old Daytek 17" monitor that my mom got for me for my birthday, oh, 6-7 years ago (at least).

It's been giving me a lot of problems for the last year or so. The last couple days have been the tipping point though. Not only do I feel like I've got glaucoma when I use it because it's alternately way too dark or way too washed out, it's now starting to die on me at random intervals.

It was acting up last night when I fiddled with a couple settings but I got it working fine. Then today, as I sat down to finish up the powerpoint presentation for this week's church service, BAM!

The monitor decided to just turn off whenever Windows loaded up.

Thankfully Tony was still home and was able to remind me how to get into safe mode in XP (which I've never had to do!) and I was able to get my system working again, but it's still giving me grief.

I figure Luke will be able to help me out the most here, but I need some help picking out a new monitor. It has to be at least 17", preferably some kind of flat-panel display and not too expensive. If NCIX has way better prices than the local stores, that's fine, but since Julie will likely be getting it for us, she's not as willing to order stuff online.

If anyone can recommend a good monitor that I can game/watch movies/surf/do graphic stuff on without going blind, and preferably is flat-panel of some kind... let me know! I can price them out after that.

This Beno model looks like the creme de la creme of flat panel monitors, and it's not THAT expensive, but it's not cheap either. Are there any good alternatives to this one that are close to the same quality but cheaper?

---
What I'm Reading: Grass For His Pillow: Tales of the Otori Book 2
What I'm Playing: Around with my monitor settings
What I'm Watching: A black screen for far too long.

No comments: