Monday, February 21, 2005

My monitor needs warning labels.

Well, today we went out and in the midst of our shopping Julie got me my early birthday present.

I got a replacement monitor. Granted, my constant complaining about how my old one was making me blind helped speed up the process.

Anyway, I got a new monitor. It's a used IBM 21" Trinitron Flatscreen. It only cost $249! I love it so far. I can actually read websites and surf around without going blind from the fuzzy text. Not only that, it's freakin' HUGE!

I swear I'm going to need a new support leg for my desk just to keep it propped up.

World of Warcraft looks amazing on this new puppy. I'm going to fiddle around a bit more. It is a little bit washed out, but I'm going to tweak some more of the settings first. On the whole though, my complaints, such as they are, are very insignificant compared to the improvement over my old monitor.

[Editor's Note (updated around 8:45pm):

To prove that I have THE WORST LUCK IMAGINABLE when it comes to computer products, this monitor, which I loved at first, is now giving me a migraine.

It's a pretty snazzy monitor, but I've spent about 3 hours now trying to get it so that I have a true black background, as opposed to a kind of grey thing, and nothing works. I've tweaked every setting I can find on the monitor. I've fiddled with my Nvidia software till I can quote RGB values at passersby. Nothing works. If I were to use this monitor to just surf around, I'd love it. But games are all looking washed out, which I could have done on my old monitor, thank you very much.

Sigh. Looks like I'll be taking a trip to Georgetown with Garrett tomorrow to take this thing back. I try to buy a used product and look what happens. Sigh. At least the local computer store has a brand new 19" for roughly the same cost. So help me if the guys I bought this monitor from don't refund my money!

No comments: