Monday, February 07, 2005

Drool...

I had a Ghost in the Shell double bill today as Garrett seems to have spent most of the day sleeping (and I've been up since 7:30am!!).

Watching Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence right after the first one is highly recommended. Not only are the story and characters still fresh in your brain, but the contrast of the then cutting edge CGI of the original to the almost entirely rendered in a computer graphics of Innocence will blow your proverbial socks off.

I would LOVE to see Innocence in a theatre, but alas, that won't happen. It is definately one of the nicest looking anime I've ever watched, and I just finished pouring (poring?) over the entire 2 DVD's worth of content for the Final Fantasy movie.

I found it interesting that in GitS:I, the robots and environments looked more realistic than the humans. I'm sure that's an intentional statement. The story was pretty good too.

The only thing I didn't like in Innocence was the subtitling. Script-wise, it was fine, but they seemed to think that it was like subtitling for the deaf as opposed to normal anime subtitling. You'd get helpful subtitles like, "Door Closing", "Rain Falling", "Bell Ringing", etc. Thankfully it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be from the start, but it still was a little annoying.

Having the character's name before their lines helped since half of the characters didn't have mouths that moved or else communicated over the 'net', but the superfluous sound-effect subtitles were a bit distracting. Ah well.

Now to watch the whole GitS: Stand Alone Complex series I have on my computer...

---
What I'm Reading: Thief Of Time
What I'm Playing: SMT: Nocturne, Mercenaries, Sims 2
What I'm Watching: GitS 1 & 2, Warriors of Heaven & Earth, Napolean Dynamite

No comments: