Thursday, September 09, 2004

Silent Brave Burnout: The Room

One of the other errands I was running today was to go to EB and pick up a few games.

I had Silent Hill 4: The Room paid off already and it just came in. I also had a big bag of old games that were gathering dust and so I brought them in and got a pretty good trade-in value for them (~$90-100 for the lot). This allowed me to get Burnout 3: Takedown and Phantom Brave. Woo! I did have to spend a few bucks to cover the remainder, but it was still a good haul.

I haven't tried Silent Hill yet because it's not dark out and the rule is that one should only play Silent Hill games in total darkness. I am interested in this one as it involves you being locked in your apartment as the basic premise of the game. I think it must be starring James as the main character too :)

Burnout 3, on the other hand, is amazing. I used to have a copy of Burnout 2 and the best part of it was the Crash Mode. Burnout 3 takes that and ramps it up. My favourite part is being able to make your car explode and then nudge it as it flies through the air, smashing into ever more cars, trucks and buses before coming to a smouldering heap. I also like how they've integrated everything a la SSX 3. You now have a consistent DJ who is fun to listen to and you also have a reason for doing races as they'll unlock bigger vehicles and more crash modes. Not only that, they've upped the crash modes from the 40 or 50 on Burnout 2 to 100!! Yay!

Who needs realistic racers like Gran Turismo when you can have this much fun smashing things and doing millions of dollars in damage from the safety of your own living room?


See what I mean?


I think Garrett liked the sounds of the cars smashing too. He was playing on his play mat while I was doing the crash mode and he'd keep craning his neck around to try to see where all the noise was coming from. Julie thinks I should take the game into my Driver Improvement course to show people how NOT to drive :)

Oh, and as for Phantom Brave, you can just read the last few newsposts from Penny Arcade to learn more about it. It looks nice, and I loved La Pucelle and Disgaea, and this is more of that and then some.

No comments: