Friday, September 17, 2004

Hearing Aids

Something came over me today after Julie, Garrett & I had spent the day puttering around Halton Hills and environs.

I needed new headphones for my computer.

The headphones I have are about 8 years old and while nice, are falling apart. The pleather on the actual earpieces has long since disintegrated and now my ears are exposed to naked foam. The cord, which I am untangling daily from my chair's wheels, has been frayed in at least on spot and has tape holding it together. The headbandy thing that actually adjusts the headphones to my head is also frayed, twisted and the plasticy part is brittle and cracked.

Now, these headphones probably cost me about $30 8 years ago. They've had a good long run. In fact, I'm still using them right now, but tonight will be their last night. Why?

I went out and got myself a spiffy new set of wireless headphones tonight, that's why!

They're Soundsource Wireless Headphones and it seems I actually got them for a good price. They cost me $64.99 + tax but looking online they're going for $74.99 US, so that's not bad. I went over to Radioshack afterwards to buy some rechargable batteries for them and saw that most of the units they had for sale there were upwards of $130, so I'm not complaining.

The cool thing is that the transmitter is rather small so I can actually move them downstairs and hook them up to the TV for when I play certain console games (Silent Hill comes to mind). It'll also just be nice to not have to constantly adjust the cord whenever I move my chair. Phew! Now I just need to wait the 12 hours for the batteries to charge and then I'm good to go.

Now I just hope these last me as long as the first set did. I did have fun listening into someone's cordless phone conversation when I turned them on tonight. Seems that if I don't have the base turned on first, I'll pick up stray cordless phone convos. Good ol' 900MHz.

No comments: