Thursday, September 30, 2004

Books!

I got the new Jim Butcher book, Furies of Calderon. Of course, according to Amazon it's 'shipping soon', but it and the other book I ordered both arrived in a big box that was dropped on my head while I slept by my irate wife :)

Furies is getting some good press and it IS by the guy behind The Dresden Files, so I'm looking forward to seeing how his take on traditional fantasy will turn out.

The other book I received is Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, which is being touted as Harry Potter for grown-ups. The best thing is that I got the black covered book instead of the white one, which was the one I'd hoped for.

Amazon is such a nice place for books though. I saved about $20 just on those two books compared to going to Chapters for them.

Speaking of books, I'm currently reading Jinn, by Matthew Delany. It's a really neat book. It's part mystery, part thriller and part wierd alien/occult/monster novel. I'm only halfway through it but I can't put it down. I like how so far each batch of main characters that he's written that particular section of the book about has ended up getting killed before they move on to the next section. Maybe I'll go sit under my tree again tomorrow and try to finish it! It's from the library so I'd better get it done.

No comments: