Thursday, September 16, 2004

The not-so-Glorious Appearing

Well, I just finished reading the 'final' book in the Left Behind series.

I wasn't terribly impressed. Beside the fact that the series went on for about 5 books too many, at least the last few books were nice quick reads that were interesting, albeit stretched out too much.

This book was incredibly dull. I think it was mostly because you have the first half of the book stuck in a 'hurry up and wait' mode while the last half is just scripture after scripture after scripture with people going, "WOAH! HE SAID MY NAME" "NO WAY! HE SAID MY NAME TOO!!!" over and over again...

I don't really have any urge to read the planned prequel. I didn't really care for most of the characters as it was throughout the series. I just wanted to see how Revalations was going to be interpreted in a modern setting. To have to sit through a book that takes place before the Rapture would be pretty dull, in my mind.

Though now that I think about it, I think the biggest problem with the last book was that all of the characters were pretty much acting the same way. What made them interesting for the first few books was that they were so different and were coming from such a diverse background. By the end of the series, they're all pretty much mouthing the same platitudes over and over again. Yawn.

I am kind of interested in seeing what the sequel would be like, though I'd be afraid that they'd stretch it into 3 books. I'm not going to go running out to get it, that's for sure, but I might read it when the church library gets it in.

It's pretty disappointing that the main part of the series ended as it did. Granted, the whole series itself is kind of weird in how it differed from the way it was originally proposed and how it finally ended up. I still think they should have just done 7 books and left out some of the interminable sermon parts that filled some of the middle books. But that's just me.

No comments: