Monday, June 06, 2005

Kung Faux

As I've been lounging on the couch late at night, flipping through channels the last few Sundays and I've found a really cool show on Showcase after Trailer Park Boys.

It's called, wait for it, Kung Faux.

Two words describe this show. Awe Some.

It's essentially an old chop-sockey hong kong martial arts flick from the '70s that has been pared down to half an hour in length. Then the masterminds behind it have added in all these crazy comic book and videogame type panels and special effects and there's this thumping backbeat playing behind most of the stuff. And then there's the 'dubtitling', which is what makes it so funny. They recorded some rappers as they were watching one of these movies and made up the dialogue as it went along. I love it because it's what I do when I watch these things.

Actually, it's very remenicient of Mystery Science Theatre 3000 only with kung-fu movies instead of horrible sci-fi B-movies as the fodder for the show.

I just figured I'd pass that along to anyone who wants a good laugh late on a Sunday night.

No comments: