Saturday, January 26, 2008

There Goes My Deathtrap...

It's a little known fact, but we've had a built in defibrillator here at Casa Del Wager for the last 5 years. Thanks to the handyman special lighting apparatus that the previous owner rigged up in the basement, there was one light near the laundry that would give you a shock if you ever tried to turn it on by pulling on the metal chain.

We had jury-rigged a solution by using a plastic zip-strip to use as a pull but every so often I'd accidentally pull the chain and get a nice little zap for my efforts.

Well, no more!

I called the plumber the other day to do some work in the basement and it turned out that he also does electrical so as of today, we no longer have a killer light in the basement. When I had a look at the inside of the old fixture, the part with the chain was all cracked and scary looking, so it's a good thing we had him replace it when he did.

When he got the new fixture up there, I was reaching to pull the new chain and it was a battle of wills not to flinch when I touched the chain. It was like I was Pavlov's dog, only instead of a treat when the bell rang, I'd get a shock when the light came on. Sigh.

No comments: