Sunday, January 21, 2007

We Need A Shot Of Self-Deprication, STAT!

Well, that was interesting.

I'm on the fence about The Dresden Files series. It wasn't bad but I'm not sure if it really captured the essence of the books. That's not a good thing. I can handle changes to characters and particulars if you're at least getting the same feel as the books. This had the baseline mechanics of the Harry Dresden universe (mundane world with supernatural elements at work) but it seemed to lack the sense of humour that makes the Dresden books (and Harry himself) so endearing.

Surprisingly, I didn't mind Bob. He actually DID live in the skull (yay) and even though he was a little more brooding and a little less capricious than in the books, I actually didn't mind the way he was portrayed.

The changes to Harry's backstory were acceptable and having Justin (or whatever he's called in the TV show) alive instead of dead like in the books could prove interesting, especially if he remains behind the scenes for some time.

It was only the first episode, so I'll keep watching and see how it progresses. It definately wasn't a bad show. I'm just not sure if I'm 100% on board with the translation from book to TV series. Hopefully it'll find its feet and get a bit of the levity from the books.

Speaking of TV shows, I've been watching the first 6-7 episodes of House over the last few days. I haven't really seen more than one or two episodes from the recent season and while I knew the show was good, I wanted to watch it from the beginning. Man, this show is awesome. Hopefully I'll get the other discs from first season soon so I can get caught up on Season 2 before Season 3 comes out on DVD :)

No comments: