Sunday, January 28, 2007

Dresden: Take Two...

Well, tonight was episode 2. I know that I wasn't alone in my disappointment in the first episode. None of the characters acted like their literary counterparts, the tone of the episode didn't ring true to the books and the casting seemed rather off too.

I have to say that after having watched episode 2, my hopes have risen significantly. The self-depricating Harry voiceover from the books is back, the characters (especially Bob) are acting like themselves again and the intricate (to a point) schemes that Harry has to come up with to save the day are back. It felt like an episode written and directed by someone who had actually read a Dresden story instead of just reading a Coles Notes list of character names (which the first episode felt like).

It still feels a bit like a low-budget show, but I can see the potential now that wasn't there last week. They still haven't introduced a lot of the more interesting characters/factions/plot points from the books, but if the series lasts longer than the initial batch of episodes, hopefully the Vampires, Faeries and Wizards will all make an appearance.

I'm just glad that things seem to not suck so badly after the first episode. I wonder if I'm alone in my optimism.

No comments: