Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Julie's In For A Surprise!

Have you heard about this case in the States?

Claudia Mejia gave birth eight and a half months ago at Orlando Regional South Seminole. She was transported to Orlando Regional Medical Center in Orlando where her arms and legs were amputated. She was told she had streptococcus, a flesh eating bacteria, and toxic shock syndrome, but no further explanation was given.

The hospital, in a letter, wrote that if she wanted to find out exactly what happened, she would have to sue them.

Holy crap! The article goes on to say:
"When the statute is named 'Patients Right To Know,' I don't know how it could be clearer," Hyman said.

The hospital's lawyers wrote back, "Ms. Mejia's request may require legal resolution." In other words, according to their interpretation of the law, Mejia has to sue them to get information about herself.

I guess there is some legal loophole about how she had asked to know if any other patients on her floor had streptococcus and that would violate their privacy, but come on...

Julie made me promise that she'd come out of labour with all her limbs intact. I guess she did pay for the Wii and has been rather understanding of my game purchases of late, so I'll do my best to keep the hacksaws away.

No comments: