Saturday, August 21, 2004

Super Garrett Entertainment System

Julie has nobody to blame but herself...

She brought to my attention the other day that there was a garage sale occurring today which had, amongst other items, an Super Nintendo and games. Of course, at hearing this news, I had to make sure I stopped in on my way to work to ensure that no rare find was missed.

We popped over to the garage sale and while I missed the sale of the Playstation (which I did not know about) the SNES was still for sale. And sell it did... to me!

Man, did I hit the motherlode. I couldn't buy the stuff piecemeal, but here's what my $30 got me.

1. A Super Nintendo with RF adapter and AC adapter (which hopefully won't buzz when I plug it in like the one I currently have hooked up to the SNES does).

2. Two non-chewed SNES controllers (my current set seems to have been used as a teething device by its previous owners).

3. A copy of Mario Paint, complete with SNES mouse and SNES mousepad.

4. Some kind of cartridge and system cleaning kit.

A couple yawn-o-rific games such as:

5. Aladdin (woopdedoo).

6. The Jungle Book Game (woopdedoo encore).

7. Olympic Summer Games (quite apropos given the Games in Athens).

And the gems of the find, which include:

8. Donkey Kong Country (Rare game design at its most banana-filled).

9. Super Mario All-Stars (What's this? The first three Super Mario Bros. games on one cartridge? And enhanced for the SNES? Wahoo!).

10. Super Mario Kart (I'm looking forward to trying this out as my Mario Kart experience just started this past year with Double Dash on the Cube).

11. Super Star Wars (A good Star Wars game if ever there was one).

12. Super Return of the Jedi (Also not a bad SW game).

13. Super Mario World (yay).

And something I didn't even realize I'd picked up till tonight when I got home from work and checked out my haul:

14. Frickin' Zelda: A Link To The Past!!!! WOOOOOOT!

Oh, and I forgot to mention the inclusion of:

15. A Super Gameboy unit, which acts much like my GBPlayer on the cube, only it doesn't play GBA games and hooks up to the SNES instead of the Cube.

That's my haul. I'm going to sequester myself in the bedroom tonight with these treasures and regress even further into childhood than usual :) Of course, I also told Julie that this was a present for Garrett for when he grew up a bit.

I'm really getting to enjoy seeing the look of horror that comes over her face when I say things like that...

Julie did say that she was glad I only spent $30 on all that stuff instead of going out and spending a lot more on it piece-meal... and she conceded that it did make me really happy to get such a deal, so she shouldn't make a big deal about it :)

I just remember almost buying a Super Gameboy unit a year ago for about $25-30 at Microplay and deciding not to... I'm so glad I didn't!

Gotta love garage sales... This find was pretty much what I always hope, somewhere in the back of my mind, that I'll find while looking at all the other various tchochkes people insist on selling.

Woo! Now to go BBQ some steak.

No comments: