Saturday, August 07, 2004

Knee Deep in the Chugs

Well, I tried out Doom 3 last night and amazingly, smoke did NOT pour from my pathetic little CPU. I do exceed the minimum system requirements, but just barely.

I was actually pretty impressed at how well it does run, given that you need a Cray to fully appreciate it. As Tycho said in his newspost on Wednesday, I believe, at the levels I'm running it at it looks like a pretty nice looking FPS, but nothing too special. If I could crank up the resolution and the Antialiasing, then I'd get the movie-quality rendering that everyone's oohing and aahing over.

My big problem with it at the moment is twofold.

1) The sound chugs. I found that I had to skip most of the cutscenes and voice recordings, conversations, etc. since the sound would loop and eventually just skip parts of conversations. After I left the game running for a bit, this did even out. I might need to clear a little bit of space from my system... I found in the past that when this happened it tended to go away after I had 10 gigs free or more. We'll see...

2) It's DARK. I know it's supposed to be dark, what with there being so many spooky scary things happening, but I'm just at the beginning and I can't see anything. It could just be my crappy monitor though. It's so out of whack with the way things are supposed to be I'm not too surprised.

So I'll probably fiddle around with Doom 3 a little bit more. I want to at least see how the monsters look before I give it the ol' heave-ho until my next system upgrade.

I'm definately NOT planning on upgrading my system now though. So far Doom 3 is really the only thing on it that is giving it a run for it's money and even it is playable. Not very playable, but it's playable. I still have about 3-4 other games on the system that I'm working on anyway and they run fine, so unless I win the lottery, no upgrade anytime soon.

Now, when Half-Life 2 comes out... :)

No comments: