Friday, August 20, 2004

Baja-mbug

If you know my culinary tastes, you probably are aware that I really, really, really like spicy food. I mean, load up the jalepenos, slather on the Frank's Hot Sauce, toss in a few habenero peppers... I like my food to be packed full of Scoville units.

That said, I also have a predeliction for Subway subs. Julie & I tend to get them about once every week or two instead of a pizza or hamburgers... if nothing else, they're better for you and they taste great too. I have my own specialty sub that I order which I call "The Gutbuster". It's just roast chicken, chopped up and then doused with whatever spicy sauce they happen to have on hand. Toss on a few jalapeno peppers and some cheese and I'm in heaven.

Well, here's my thing. Every year Subway comes out with the Buffalo Chicken sub. It's the same as "The Gutbuster" only it has Frank's Hot Sauce on it, which is sublime. The only problem is that they only have this for about a month each year. After that, the Frank's goes back to wherever it lives for the other 11 months of the year and I'm stuck having to settle with the southwest chipotle sauce, which is moderately spicy, but really has no kick whatsoever to it.

Anyway, today I went out with Julie & Garrett for a walk around town and we decided that we'd have Subway for lunch. It turns out that there's this new sub called the Baja Chicken sub. I got it and man, is it good. I essentially got "The Gutbuster" but this time with Baja sauce.

I don't know exactly what makes up the Baja sauce, but it's sort of like Frank's Hot Sauce and Ranch Dressing had a baby. It's got a great kick to it, like Frank's, but it's also nice and creamy, like Ranch... All I can say is that it's yummmmmmy. Of course, it'll only be around for a month and then I'll to go back to *yawn* Southwest Chipotle sauce, but Julie's already told me to write a letter to Subway to see if they'll keep it on their sauce board for longer.

I think she just doesn't want to hear me yammer on about how good the Baja sauce and Frank's sauce is and how it's such a shame they're not there all the time. Hmm...

No comments: