Saturday, August 07, 2004

Camp Update

Well, I survived my camp day. It was actually a pretty good 24 hrs or so. The guy I had to look after was pretty cool and he got me walking all over the place, which is good. I got up to the camp at 7am on Thursday and by 8am he had me walking all over the back 40.

We also went for a walk up the road to look at some of the cows there and after about 45 minutes Cam drove by because someone had called the camp to let him know that he had two guests on the loose, but it was just us :)

The best part of looking after the guy was that he LOVED to go on van rides. This meant that I got to drive around all over the Bruce Peninsula, which is something I highly enjoy myself. The fun part was that I let him navigate. We'd just come to a crossroads somewhere and he'd pick which direction to go. Somehow on Thursday night we ended up in Kincardine, but that was fine since we got to walk along the beach and then we drove up past the Bruce Nuclear to Port Elgin to see the sunset. I had never seen the big wind turbines... Man, they're impressive!

I also gave him an astronomy lesson in the evening since it was such a beautiful night and he wanted to look at the stars. I do love being in the Bruce in the summertime.

On Friday we did more walking and I also let him navigate on our van ride, which landed us in Wiarton of all places. We also got trapped at the Tim Hortons because we couldn't back our van out due to the lineup for the drive-thru. Luckily someone let us out or we'd still be stuck there, waiting for someone to not zoom up behind us.

So it was good. I got lots of fresh air and exercise and also got to see some parts of the Bruce I'd never seen before. Hooray!

The only bad part is that I have to go back to work this afternoon, and yesterday was my only day off until next week and I didn't get home till after 5pm. AND I'm stuck in a conference for the last half of the week next week too. Gah! No rest for the wicked, I guess.

No comments: