Friday, August 20, 2004

Alien vs. Predator vs. Jason Bourne

Ah... The joys of the mythical 'day off'. I decided to celebrate my impending Friday off by watching a few of the movies I haven't had the luxury of seeing yet this summer.

The Bourne Supremacy was pretty cool. It was essentially wall-to-wall action with Matt Damon either beating up people with a rolled-up magazine or driving like a maniac with a broken leg and bullet holes in him. I liked it, but I have the feeling that it's really just a filler between The Bourne Identity and the yet-to-be-made Bourne Ultimatum. Not nearly as much plot or character development in this installment as in Identity. Oh well.

After watching that I decided to see if Alien vs. Predator was as bad as I figured it was going to be. Surprise, surprise... it wasn't! I actually quite enjoyed it. The concept is essentially one of a Predator paintball course stocked with Aliens and lots of lethality. Humans are pretty much there to serve as snacks and cannon fodder. Given the fact that the movie probably had a pretty small budget and a cast of nobodies, it turned out to be rather fun to watch.

No Oscars are in its future, but AvP is definately a lot better than, oh, Jason X or other low-budget horror/sci-fi flicks of its ilk. The biggest complaint I'd seen ahead of time was a lot of forumites griping that it was only PG-13 instead of R-rated, but frankly, I don't think it really mattered. It was a little more campy than either Predator or Alien usually are, but it wasn't completely silly or anything. *shrug*

Of course, the best thing about watching movies on your computer is that if they start to get a little dull or you're just not really paying attention, you can always bust out a little Spider Solitaire and have the movie running in the corner. I ended up winning about 5-6 games in a row tonight. I should play Spider Solitaire while watching movies more often!

Well, it's after 3am and we're going to get Garrett a mobile for the crib tomorrow, so I should probably head off to bed and get a few chapters of the latest Harry Dresden behind me before slumber overtakes me.

Zzzzz...

No comments: