Wednesday, May 19, 2004

It's not a post about breastfeeding, but it's close!

I had a couple brushes with blindness this past week and both were somewhat amusing.

The first was at the church I was visiting with Julie & her family on Sunday. After the service I had to use the washroom so I went in. By the urinals there was an older gentleman with an eyepatch. He was feeling around the walls and I didn't really do anything right at first since I thought he was just getting his bearings. After about a half a minute of watching him fumble about, I asked him if he needed a hand. (Hmm... that sounds wrong...) Turned out he was trying to find his way out of the washroom and got disoriented. I helped him to the exit door, although it was right beside the door to the stall and he started to go in there and I had to get him out of yet another predicament...

So that was my good deed of the week. Helping a blind old man out of the washroom at church. I wonder how long he would have been stuck there, groping at urinals with nobody to hear his cries for help.

The second encounter with blindness was the really funny one.

I was in Kitchener at a church (again) to teach my Driver Improvement course. I had to walk around the building since I couldn't find anyone to open the doors and I figured that maybe there was someone working around the back or in one of the back rooms.

Anyway, I was walking around the back near the edge of the property (which borders on a field) and out sauntered an animal which had a cup in its mouth, or so I thought.

Turned out it was a pretty big muskrat with a styrofoam pop cup completely covering his entire head. It was walking around the parking lot in circles, trying to figure out how to get the cup off and where it was going. I just stood there laughing for a couple minutes as it was totally unexpected and just funny to watch. It did get the cup off shortly there after and then proceeded to just sit there, the cup at its feet, and give me the DIRTIEST look I've ever seen an animal (or person) give me. I mean, it was just ticked off.

I carefully sauntered away, not wanting to be the victim of a pissed-off muskrat. It was pretty neat though. I've seen muskrats before, but never so close. It was maybe 5 feet away from me, tops. And it just stared at me until I walked away.

Yeah. Those are my crazy blindness stories. Woo!

Speaking of blindness, I am going for an eye exam tomorrow morning. I'm glad I had the appointment made last week seeing how as visits to the optometrist aren't going to be covered by OHIP very much longer.

No comments: