Sunday, May 09, 2004

Deep Thoughts, By Brocky

I heard a very interesting statement on the radio today that was probably one of the best reconciliations between free will and predestination that I've ever heard.

I'm probably mis-quoting, but here goes.

"25% of what happens to us is fate, destiny, call it what you will. That 25% is fate putting us into a situation where it is very easy to do either the right thing or the wrong thing. Our decisions, character and how we handle that situation make up the other 75%."

I think that's not completely how the quote went, but it's the gist of it. I thought it was a great idea. It incorporated a divine will and free will into a very simply theory. We may be put into a situation where we can very easily choose to do the wrong thing, yet it is there to see if we have the strength of character to choose to do the right thing.

I guess that from a Christian perspective, it would sort of flesh out the whole concept of God not giving us more than we can bear.

Ok. I was going to expand on that thought too, but now my brain decided that it's time to turn off. I totally have lost the coherent train of thought that was this post.

Sigh.

No comments: