Saturday, May 29, 2004

Back in The City again

Today I started playing Thief 3 (aka Deadly Shadows) ye olde PC. I was kind of scared, since Deus Ex 2 pretty much crippled my system and Thief 3 uses the same engine. This time, however, everything is working smoooooothly.

The Thief series of games is probably my favourite of all time. Yes, there are only 3, and the last one came out back in 2000. However, you just can't beat them in terms of atmosphere, story and just overall coolness.

I've read a couple reviews saying that the game looks horrible and the NPC's look like wax dummies. Granted, the Thief games have never been drop dead gorgeous, but I think that Thief 3 looks pretty sweet. The environments look great, the lighting is even better than ever and the NPC's are actually quite detailed. Sure, they look a little odd, but the Thief series has always had a somewhat stylized appearance anyway.

Unfortunately I only was able to play for a wee bit tonight, but thankfully my fears about it being unplayable have been put to rest and I'm really impressed with the two missions so far.

The only thing missing is an opening cinematic that's as cool as the original one. Heck, ANY opening cinematic would be nice. At least the interstitial cutscenes between missions are just like the old ones, only sharper than ever.

Enough babbling for me. I'm off to try to finish Onimusha 3.

No comments: