Friday, August 19, 2005

Sanctimonious Twaddle Indeed...

Ever since the CBC locked out the people who actually make the magic happen on-air, I've essentially been forced to listen to CFRB as I loathe most of the commercial music radio stations. What they call the 'new CBC' is impossible to listen to. It's nice to hear reruns of Bill Richardson doing the Roundup (I'm not a huge Tetsuro fan) and I hear that there are rumours of Grooveshinny reruns *yay* so it's not ALL bad, but I really can't stand to listen to the amateur hour when they have the managers running the show.

CFRB has an amusing little ad that plays every so often to welcome in the 'refugees of public broadcasting' to their land of 'the same insight and information with 50% less pompous bluster'.

Of course, that 50% is filled with annoying commercials, so it's still not that great.

It is a pretty big switch in styles. I know that the CFRB guys are pushing buttons on purpose to drive up ratings and create a buzz for the nutjobs that call in. It's amusing although I do want to put my fist through the radio sometimes because they're so stupid. Thank God I only have a 5 minute drive to and from work now...

As for the TV stuff, I miss The National but I'll get by. It's the Radio One stuff (and CBC.ca) that is hitting me the hardest.

That said, there's an amusing, albeit skewed, article by Lynwood Barclay on how the CBC's programming has changed.

My favourite lines:

"12 p.m. The Midday News With Knowlton Nash.

12:59-1 p.m., 1-1:01 p.m., 1:01-1:02 p.m., 1:02-1:03 p.m., 1:03-1:04 p.m., 1:04-1:05 p.m., 1:05-1:06 p.m., 1:06-1:07 p.m., 1:07-1:08 p.m., 1:08-1:09 p.m., 1:09-1:10 p.m.

Borrowed from the archives of CBC Radio, the Best of Time Signal.
Relive some of the best beeps and pauses over the last 40 years.
"

I also got a comment down there on my "CBC vs. the CBC" post from a few days ago, this time by Jennifer Quesnel, an actual CBC reporter! I'm trying to figure out if she's praising my little post or slagging it... Regardless, it led me over to her blog which is very interesting insider's view of what's going on and how it's affecting the workers who are locked out.
---
What I'm Reading: The Corporation
What I'm Playing: Atelier Iris
What I'm Watching: Clouds blow across the sky

No comments: