Saturday, August 06, 2005

Brock: Killer of Fish

This week has seen me returning somewhat to my roots as an outdoorsy type. I know, most of you are either calling me a liar or have fallen off your chairs, but it's true. I love doing stuff outside so long as it's interesting. Interesting to me means hunting down bugs and snakes and other wigglie-wogglies, not running along a road or other excercisey stuff. If I happen to have to walk for a while through a nice forest to see a cool rock outcropping or waterfall, that's fine. I just don't care to do the walk for the walk itself.

That said, I spent a lot of time this week outside. We went hiking on Monday at Hilton Falls and that was fun. The best thing about the trip, aside from the awesome reference photos I took of the terrain, was the giant millipede I found on the ground. It was about as long as my index finger and seemed to have a lot of fun running around on my hand. Unlike most of my invertebrate aquaintences, this guy was set free and does not reside in my freezer.

This week also saw my return to the land of the mighty angler. I got my rod and tacklebox back from my Dad and proceeded to get my fishing license. On Friday I went out with one of the guys at work to his favourite fishing hole and caught a rock bass and another, non-lithic, bass. Not bad for someone who hasn't really been fishing in more than, oh, 10 years. I just wish that the two fish hadn't been killed in the process. I was trying to catch and release but I doubt either fish survived my ministrations. Well, one might have gotten away. The other was last seen splashing around near the surface on its side surrounded by a school of minnows who looked out for revenge. Ah well.

They're all going to be following this guy's lead soon.



Today I caught a great big beetle on the side of a building on the way to the Trunk Sale. That was another unexpected catch. Julie even let me keep it, however begrudgingly.

---
What I'm Reading: Dead Beat: Harry Dresden Book 6
What I'm Playing: Atelier Iris, WoW, Fire Emblem 2, maybe Final Fantasy VII
What I'm Watching: Deadwood: Season 1, Steamboy

No comments: