Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Wrath of the Telemarketers

Hey all.

I'm still alive. The Family Wager has not exploded or been abducted by aliens. I've just been really busy over the last week or two and when I have had a free moment I've been trying to just zone out and play a game or two. Heck, I've barely read any of my book that I'm reading... sadly, I've gone entire days lately without reading a page. Sigh.

Let me just say that work has been hectic to say the least. I've been putting in extra time doing the occasional overnight and I'm the one staff who is working the least amount of overtime lately. I'd probably be working more except that it's hard to look after a toddler when you've been up for 24 hours straight.

What else is new? Hmm...

Well, over the last week or so I've been having a real string of bad luck with telemarketers and people on the phone in general. First off, Bell suckered me into signing up for their High Speed Ultra package ("ONLY $5 EXTRA PER MONTH!"), a move which was quickly rescinded when Julie got wind of it.

Thankfully Bell actually let me cancel the upgrade with minimal fuss and bother, although the guy I spoke with this afternoon about it spent the better part of 10 minutes offering me increasing trial periods at ever reduced prices. You'd think they had a gun to his head and I was sentencing him to an early demise the way he was pushing the package. He finally gave up after I used the "My wife doesn't care how much faster my online games run" card for the 3rd time. Sigh.

Right after that, I had to get nasty with another telemarketer. For the last 2-3 weeks, a lady from a company called GeoHolidays has been hassling me to go to some information night to learn more about the fantastic prize I won ("We're not selling you anything and it's not a time-share!"). Thankfully I did a bit of research and they're definately not a company I want to have any dealings with.

"He slowly (and I emphasis slowly) explains everything to us. The total
cost for the package came out to about $40,000 something. The membership
is for 45 years. I'm thinking... these guys must be nuts!! And that is
just for the package itself... let alone the annual maintenance fees of
around $500. He does some calculations and says I will only have to pay
$900 per month to get this package. Yeah, right!!
"

So when she called today I told her that I'd read some information about her company and I did not want to have anything to do with it, thank you very much, goodbye, *click*.

I also have had some very entertaining (yeah, that's the word for it) dealings with one of the parents at work that made me want to yell and laugh at her at the same time. I tell ya, work is never boring at my new place.

To top things off, I had to take my car in today for an oil change and brake cleaning & inspection. What was going to be a pricey $189 service soon ballooned to $600 after I got my incredibly rusty and dented rotors replaced and my black brake fluid flushed and replaced with minty clear brake fluid. Sigh. At least Julie is happy that I didn't stick her with the bill this time :) Merry Christmas dear!

I'm going to try to post a bit more in the next little bit. I've pretty much finished my Christmas shopping (only one gift left to buy) and after tomorrow work will be much calmer (stupid government inspections). Then I have a week off from the 23rd to the 30th, so I'm happy.

---
What I'm Reading: The Year Of Our War
What I'm Playing: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones, Guitar Hero, Final Fantasy IV Advance
What I'm Watching:


No comments: