Friday, December 10, 2004

Skype

In my other role as the Multimedia Team Leader at my church, I am responsible for putting together the weekly powerpoint slides and such. Luckily, we have an intern at the church who is a Photoshop whiz.

This weekend we're having our annual Celtic Christmas which is a lot of fun, but also a real headache from a slide design standpoint. I was e-mailing back and forth to the intern for a while trying to work out stuff and he got sick of doing that and sent me a link to Skype.

Man, this is the neatest program ever. It's like MSN or most other IM clients, only it's built around a very high quality internet telephony rather than the instant messages. We were able to sort out all of our design problems in about 1/4 of the time it'd normally take us.

I did have to dig out my computer mic again, but it's worth it. Now, I'm not moving to Skype as my main IM thing, but if I need to get something done and IM'ing isn't doing it fast enough, Skype's the way to go.

Oh, did I mention it's free?

[Sorry for the derth of updates this week. Work's been pretty busy and about the only thing I've done during the evenings (the ones where I'm home before midnight) is play my way through Metal Gear Solid 3, which is amazing and makes up for MGS2 and then some!

That, and Blogger seems to be going through some kind of server teething problems. It takes me way too long to get the update screen loaded most days. Hopefully they'll add a few more servers to their bank and I won't have to wait 5 minutes to get to the update screen.]

No comments: