Thursday, December 02, 2004

Prince of Spiggy

The new Prince of Persia is good, but it's annoyingly 'mature'. It's like the 15 year old that won't play any game that isn't rated M because he doesn't want to be labeled 'kiddie'. That kind of mature. Not GTA, you need to be old enough to vote to appreciate this game, mature.

It's like the execs got together and said, 'Look, we know Mature rated games sell. The original PoP didn't sell as well as we wanted. Let's make the new one Mature."

Then the other ones said, "You know what makes a game mature? Lots of blood, lots of butt-rock heavy metal music and chicks with big boobs and very little clothing. Who cares if that doesn't follow the spirit of the original in the least."

It's annoying because I couldn't put Prince of Persia: The Sands Of Time down, it was so good. Everything about that game was like a fairy-tale on my Xbox. This new one had me on the verge of wanting to just take it out and put in the first game again and I hadn't even gotten past the initial tutorial/intro level.

Granted, once I got past that level and the platforming stuff from the first game returned, it got better, but I was really getting mad at how forced the whole dark/angsty tone was. Sigh.

I agree completely with every review of it that says, "You know what? It's fine to push the game in a darker direction. This enforced 'maturity' isn't necessary."
I liked the one British review that had this subtitle.
"I am the Prince of Persia." Lies. We've met him. Younger chap. Likeable.

No comments: