Friday, November 18, 2005

Vagrants say, "What?"

I don't care what the rest of the internet pundits say. I really liked what I played in the Final Fantasy XII demo.

It is different from what has gone before but it's not THAT radically different. You still use a menu system to choose things. It still builds up like the ATB system. You still have all of the trappings of a Final Fantasy world. It's just tweaked somewhat.

It does feel somewhat like the FFXI system, but even that was not such a crazy departure from the series.

On the extremely plus side of things, FFXII is set in Ivalice, the world that was the setting of both Final Fantasy Tactics games. That gives it a base of races and certain other things to draw on for the full fledged RPG. I also found a lot of the teaser cinematics (especially the ingame ones) to really evoke Vagrant Story's art style and direction. And trust me, that can only be an incredibly great thing. Vagrant Story was one of the best PS1 games put out by Square and I think the director of FFXII is the same guy who did Vagrant Story. If that's the case, I'm going to be very happy.

Plus there is an overwhelming emphasis on airships, which in my book is just a giant cherry on top of all that whipped cream and chocolate cream pie that the other points have made out.... zzzzzzzzzzzzz

No comments: