Friday, November 04, 2005

Speaking of deprived childhoods

We were watching Epidode 3 this evening at work and one of the guys piped up, "So, those guys are telepaths? That's how they're moving things?"

I said that they weren't telepaths, they were just using the Force.

"The Force? Like the force of gravity?"

I just looked at him like he was from another planet. I mean, this guy knows James Bond movies like the back of his hand and can quote Star Trek episodes by heart. He's seen many a movie. Yet somehow he's managed, despite his inherent geekiness, to never see a Star Wars movie. He didn't even know what a Jedi was. He did know who Darth Vader was, but that's probably because he's seen the mask around before.

I mean, how does someone grow up post-1977 and NOT see at least one of the Star Wars movies? It would be one thing if he never watched movies and didn't like sci-fi, but he does both with gusto! GUSTO! Yet he was calling lightsabres "Laser Swords".

Sigh....

The upside is that the task of educating him about the mysteries of the Star Wars universe has fallen upon my shoulders. I know it will be tough, watching the original trilogy all over again, but somehow I'll make it through.

Force of gravity... sheesh.

No comments: