Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Sudbury Sunday Night

In case you were wondering where we've been most of the week, we went up to Sudbury for a little vacation from Sunday to Tuesday. I had never been to Sudbury (aside from a quick drive past it the week before on the way to and from the lodge on Manitoulin) so we went up there to explore and check out the science stuff.

I loved it.

We took the Chi-Chemaun up to Manitoulin on Sunday morning and I was quite impressed with it. They had a big play room for Garrett to run around in and there were enough kids that he wasn't bored. Manitoulin itself was just like it was a week ago when I left. We stopped at Ten-Mile Lookout, which everyone should see at some point in their lives. I've been there three times in a week and was blown away by the vista each time.

Science North was pretty nifty. I got to ride a Segway (as seen below) and would definately pick one up if they cost $500 instead of $5000. The displays were also interesting and the biology level of the centre was filled with great displays of bugs, fish and one sleepy beaver.

Dynamic Earth was also worth the price of admission. Garrett didn't really like the dark elevator ride down to the mine but he fell asleep shortly after we got into the old timey mine shaft. We got him a shovel and rake at the gift shop and he's been wandering around the house ever since, hitting me in the head with the rake, knocking over stuff... ah, kids' toys...

The one thing I can say about Sudbury is that it has supplanted Hamilton at the top of my worst designed cities list. Not to worry, Hamilton still has the top spot when it comes to most confusing downtown and the most egregious use of one-way streets. The whole of Sudbury is a mess of traffic lights and wierd star-shaped intersections, not to mention signs that when followed put you in a parking lot for a convenience store instead of on the highway to Dynamic Earth... I'm sure it has something to do with the awesome topography of the place, but couldn't they have at least TRIED for something approximating a grid? Sigh.

You'd think that I'd be taking it easy and playing lots of games on my vacation. I wish. I did play a bit of WoW last night (Battlegrounds ROCK!) but aside from that and a bit of We Love Katamari (woo!) and some GBA games, I haven't had a chance to touch a controller or keyboard. I spent all day today cleaning my office. 2 giant green garbage bags and a lot of moved boxes later, I can see floor and walls that I haven't seen since I moved in. I think I just increased the useable floor space by a good 500 square feet. Scary. But it needed to be done.

Now it's off to Sarnia for a couple days to hang with the fambly and hopefully see The Corpse Bride. Only one more week till Serenity!
---
What I'm Reading: Serenity comic series, one of my books...
What I'm Playing: We Love Katamari, WoW, Golden Sun 2, Sigma Star Saga
What I'm Watching: LOST SEASON 2! WOO!

No comments: