Friday, September 30, 2005

Credit Card, Shmedit Card

I went down to EB today and it turns out that what happened is that I was charged the used price for a new game the other day. This prompted the girl at the counter to charge me the additional $5.75 that I technically owed for the game but was not charged. Of course, she did this without my authorization or even without notifying me (though supposedly she did try to call me... it's amazing how answering machines never seem to work when important calls are coming in.)

I'm in a bit of a dilemma about this whole episode. On the one hand the manager explained what had happened and it made sense, in a 'My Employee Did Something She Shouldn't Have And Is Stupid' kind of way. I did technically owe them the $5 as well so it's not like I can say that it was an unwarranted charge. Plus this shows that there really was no scammer out there, ripping off my credit card.

On the other hand, my credit card was charged without my consent or signature. To top it off, had I paid with debit or cash they would have been out of luck and she would have had to explain why she undercharged me for the game (and I'd still have my $5.75).

I did say this to the manager and was kind of hoping he'd refund my money given that I had never officially authourized it. Unfortunately he just apologized for the incident and said that his employee has been told that it was not the right course of action and that it would not happen again.

So what do I do now? Do I get upset and storm back in there and demand my money back even though I technically do owe it to them? Do I just let this go by and hope it doesn't happen again? I don't want to waste more time and effort on this than I have as I'm satisfied with the explanation as to what happened and feel my credit card has not sprung a leak. I also don't want to feel like a shmuck for letting them get away with what is technically an illegal (or at least very shady) practice of billing someone with no authorization.

Hmm... Maybe I'll call Visa tomorrow and ask them what to do. At the very least they can send a grumpy note to EB warning them not to do this.

All you banker/financial types (yeah, both of you) that read this, give me some advice. My neighbour feels that I should have pressed for $5 back or at least store credit. I personally feel that while I didn't like how they got their $5, I did technically owe it to them and therefore shouldn't press too hard for money back that I really don't deserve. Sigh...

No comments: