Monday, December 29, 2003

Libraries: Taking a page out of the Chapters manual

I don't know what it is about my library. I guess it's just that it's a small rural library as opposed to the Mississauga or Brampton systems. However, it is annoying when they start acting like the local Chapters store.

Why am I hitting so below the belt? Well, I did work for Chapters Inc. for a year or two so I know what it's like. The reason I'm comparing them to that most heinous of book chains is that my beloved Acton library has followed the Chapters book series rule.

The Chapters book series rule, in case you haven't had the pleasure of reading a series that isn't Tolkein or Robert Jordan, is the rule where you are required to have the 3rd and 5th book in a series, but none other. All of the other books are either only available online or not available at all.

I'm currently reading through the New Jedi Order series of Star Wars books. Really cool series. However, it's 19 books long. My library has about 11 of the books. And for some reason, for the parts of the series that are two or three part arcs, NONE of them have the first book of the arc. It's really weird and annoying.

So I've decided that I'm going to fill in the blanks. I went out today and picked up the next two missing books using my gift certificate that I got for Chapters and when I finish these books I'm going to donate them to the Acton library. I don't have too many books to buy, thankfully, and then others won't have to miss out on a cool series.

No comments: