Monday, December 08, 2003

I was sad to hear about the Uptown Theatre collapsing today. The Uptown was probably my favourite movie theatre in downtown Toronto.

I didn't realize it was going to be demolished anyway (the last time I had heard anything about it was last year or early this year when they were still fighting to keep it standing). The Uptown was where I was first exposed to the wonders of wierd French cinema during repeated midnight showings of City of Lost Children. Sigh.

It seems they've had one fatality and while they had thought that there was still someone under the rubble earlier in the evening, they seem to have called off the search.

Just goes to show that you shouldn't knock down classy old buildings to put up crappy condos. See my rant about subdivisions for a taste of my rant about demolishing classy old buildings :)

No comments: