Monday, August 17, 2009

Cineplex Air Conditioning!

There's nothing like a heat wave to give me the perfect excuse to go see a bunch of movies. In a weekend unprecedented since the arrival of the kids, I managed to see 3 movies since Friday night.

G.I. Joe was surprisingly good. I went in with very low expectations and it surpassed them all by a large margin. I also loved how they didn't resort to shakey-cam and quick cuts every 5 seconds during the big fights. It's one of the first action movies in years to let me actually see what is going on during a big fight scene. And the chase through Paris was awesome.

Ponyo was adorable and both of the kids loved it. Kara even sat through the whole thing with minimal squirming. The most astounding thing is that Julie came along and at least seemed to tolerate, if not enjoy the movie. I'll get her hooked on anime yet!

Last, but certainly not least, was District 9. I can't say much about it because it's better to be experienced than spoiled, but it more than lives up to the hype and was completely different from what I expected going in. And remember, smiles are less expensive than bullets, so don't shoot aliens.

Now to get ready to head back to work for my second overnight 12-hour in a row. It wouldn't be that bad except I have to go back to work tomorrow evening too... I hate it when I end up doing almost an entire week's worth of shifts in the first two days of the week... and have to keep going back for the rest of the week.

No comments: