Sunday, January 22, 2006

Why? Because you asked.

It has come to my attention that several of my faithful readers (both of you) have been wondering if I've taken a blow to the head or have otherwise succumbed to a serious injury due to my lack of commentary on the election campaign and ensuing shenanigans.

Chalk it up to being busy at work, busy chasing after Garrett and spending what free time I have playing the snot out of my DS. Those are about the only excuses I can give for my lack of bile at the goofy stuff that has been going around during the campaign.

Actually, come to think of it, it hasn't really been that crazy of a campaign. We're essentially seeing a repeat of the election we had in 2004 only we have a bit of a track record for Layton and Harper.

Rather than give myself a nice case of carpal tunnel syndrome yammering about what everyone has done wrong and who has done things right (read a newspaper/website/magazine for that), I'm going to give my predictions for tomorrow. And I will do it as though I'm reading from a holy text.

Lo, the Spigot doth proclaimeth thusly.

"Verily, the Conservatives shall rise to power. Yea, they may seem poised to topple the mighty Liberalites, but the power of the Mustachioed One doth splitteth the votes strategically. Minor though their power is, the ascendant Conservatives shall rule the land in a fist made of iron and beef and coated henceforth in the oil of a thousand dead dinosaurs. The Mustachioed One shall wield his power to keep the Conservatives in check, thus balancing the oppositional forces of the fallen Liberalites.

In the distance, a Bloc doth wimper for aid but they hath found themselves on the far side of a vast separation.

And the Greens still won't have a seat in parliament."


So sayeth the Spig.

Yeah, so in plain english:

A minority Conservative government, Liberal opposition and NDP holds the balance of power. The Bloc just does its usual dance and the Greens will come close to electing an MP but still won't take a seat.

If (God help us all) the Conservatives do win a majority, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Liberal defeat much akin to the 1993 election that saw the PC's move from a majority government to about 3 seats. I doubt it will be THAT bad, as Toronto will still be a pretty heavy Liberal stronghold, but if they take a bad turn, it will probably leave most of them out in the cold.

I just doubt it will happen. I think that most Canadians want the Liberals out but don't want the Conservatives in a majority position.

No comments: