Friday, July 01, 2005

To answer Jenn's question a couple posts down..

Jenn wanted to know if I was saving my money for any of the new systems that are coming out between this November and some time next year.

Short answer: Not really. I'd love to get them, but money is kind of tight. None of them really have me on the edge of my seat, ready to rush out and snatch them up the second they hit the shelves. There are some neat games that have been previewed, but so far the only thing that would have me putting money down for a PS3 would be the announcement that Final Fantasy XII was coming out for it rather than the PS2.

Here's the long answer:

There are 3 true 'next-gen' systems coming out. The Xbox 360 (stupidest name ever), the PS3 and the Nintendo Revolution.

The Xbox looks pretty nice, but I'm not going to get one anytime soon. I'll wait till they get a good library of games and the price has dropped before I pick it up.

The PS3 looks great, but I'll probably wait till it drops as well.

The Revolution would be awesome if only because it gives you access to almost the entire library of Nintendo games going all the way back to the NES. Granted, I haven't seen what the pricing scheme is for this. Do we get them all for free? Do we have to subscribe to a service to let us play the entire library? Do we pay per game and get to keep it?

So there ya go. I'm sure that down the road when Garrett is able to somehow convince Julie & I that what he really needs for his 2nd (or 3rd) birthday is a new $400 game system, I'll get one. I'm not planning on getting any of them at launch though. I already have too many games for the current generation of systems. ARG!

I'm more interested in getting a Nintendo DS and a PSP for the neat games that are already on or coming out for them over the next year. It seems that the handhelds are where the truly innovative games are these days. If only they'd see fit to do a portable port of Chrono Trigger for the DS or GBA. Sigh.

No comments: